As Peter has suggested, it was Francis Christensen who developed his
rhetoric program using the concept of "Levels of Generality," with
grammatical units being added to the main clause in order to create
sentences of great variety and style. Such sentences he defined as
"cumulative sentences." Unlike the large number of groupings that are
displayed in Scott's example, the Christensen method requires punctuation,
generally a comma but sometimes a colon or dash, to move from one level to
another. The levels are numbered, with the main clause being a Level 1. A
Level 2 modifies something in the Level 1, and so on. There are basically
eight "free modifiers" that can appear in those lower levels, and by
teaching just those eight, you can make the solid connection between grammar
and writing.
Those eight free modifiers, by the way, are the present and past participial
phrases, the absolute phrase, the noun phrase, the adjective and adverb
clause, the prepositional phrase, and the adjective cluster.

Don Stewart

--
Don Stewart
Write for College