James Fallows had an interesting column  on this in Atlantic back in 2002 or so.  He compared W’s performance in debates with Ann Richards in his ’96 run with his performance in the 2000 campaign and since.  In the Texas gubernatorial race he was not only very on message, as he has been since, but he also spoke a more sophisticated English, was mentally agile against a very skilled debater, and generally comported himself well.  Fallows thinks, and I tend to agree, that his later folksiness is a persona that has been very successful, one perhaps designed by Rove, and one that W seems to have been unable to escape, once he adopted it.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brad Johnston
Sent: 2008-02-06 15:59
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: grammar and our folksy president

Fascinating theory, Seth.

I voted for Dubya twice but it makes me so uncomfortable to watch him, I didn't see his State of the Union but read the full text the next day. Could his annoying, anti-Churchillian demeanor possible be a put-on? Hard to believe.

"Katz, Seth" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On GW Bush saying "nucular" (as did Jimmy Carter--who was a nuclear engineer!): I have heard tell that in the televised Texas gubernatorial debates, Bush did not speak as he has for the past 8 years, but rather sounded much more like the articulate, Yale-educated, upper-class Northeasterner that he actually is. The folksy, aw-shucks, malapropistic Bush is a character that he and his handlers created to make him a more marketable candidate. Does anyone know if this is true: that Bush did not always speak publicly as he does now?

BTW: I do not believe that Bill Clinton, George HW Bush, or Ronald Reagan said "nucular."

Best--
Seth

Dr. Seth Katz
Assistant Professor