To: "'Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar'" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: ATEG Digest - 5 Feb 2008 to 6 Feb 2008 (#2008-27)
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:51:40 -0500

Having heard every president--and most opponents--from FDR to George II, the
only one that I could listen to without going 'yeccchhh' was Ronald Reagan.
FDR was a distant second. Truman would be third; Nixon, fourth; George I,
fifth. Kennedy, Carter, Clinton, Gore, George II are products of schools
in which anything goes: how can someone's speech be incorrect? It's his (or
her) speech, after all.
Asking a choice among McCain, Obama, Clinton, Romney is like asking a
freedom lover to choose among Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, or Pol Pot.
I'd have to say Romney.
Scott Catledge

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 07:17:38 -0800
From: Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: McCain, Obama, Clinton...Who has the best grammar?

--0-551922993-1202311058=:65687

I am curious to see which of the candidates has the best grammar and who is
the most well-spoken. I will be listening attentively to upcoming speeches,
interviews, and press conferences. It would be nice to have a president who
has a strong command of the English language. That person will get my vote
(maybe). Any favorites?
CLM
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
Bill,

There's also the question of its pronunciation. Should it rhyme with
"teak" or with "tech". Of course in OE it would have rhymed with
"rack." I suspect the word exists today largely in formulaic
utterances.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English
Grammar
Sorry, Paul! Too rapid reading of emails was the
cause.

Edmond

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please
visit the list's web
interface
at:
and select "Join or
leave the list"

interface
at:
and select "Join or
leave the list"

interface
at:
and select "Join or
leave the list"

at:
and select "Join or
leave the list"

Visit ATEG's web site at
http://ateg.org/

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i
62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ "> Try it now.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:58:10 -0700
From: Elizabeth Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: McCain, Obama, Clinton...Who has the best grammar?

--_1855a25d-8246-4136-a55e-36b648ccaeee_

Why are you leaving out Mitt Romney?
=20
Elizabeth Clark

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 07:17:38 -0800From: [log in to unmask]: Mc=
Cain, Obama, Clinton...Who has the best grammar?To: [log in to unmask]
I am curious to see which of the candidates has the best grammar and who is=
the most well-spoken. I will be listening attentively to upcoming speeches=
, interviews, and press conferences. It would be nice to have a president w=
ho has a strong command of the English language. That person will get my vo=
te (maybe). Any favorites?
CLM"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
Bill,There's also the question of its pronunciation. Should it rhyme with"t=
eak" or with "tech". Of course in OE it would have rhymed with"rack." I sus=
pect the word exists today largely in formulaicutterances.Herb-----Original=
Message-----From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar[mailto:ATEG=
@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU] On Behalf Of Spruiell, William CSent: 2008-02-01 14:0=
8To: [log in to unmask]: Re: Begging the question (3)"Wrought"=
From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar[mailto:[log in to unmask]
HIO.EDU] On Behalf Of Castilleja, JanetSent: Friday, February 01, 2008 12:1=
0 PMTo: [log in to unmask]: Re: Begging the question (3)Is 'wr=
ought' the past participle of 'wreak' or 'work'? My dictionariesare having =
a conflict.Janet Castilleja-----Original Message-----From: Assembly for the=
Teaching of English Grammar[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of =
Edmond WrightSent: Friday, February 01, 2008 6:13 AMTo: [log in to unmask]
O.EDUSubject: Begging the question (3)Sorry, Paul! Too rapid reading of ema=
ils was the cause.EdmondTo join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit t=
he list's webinterface at:http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htmland =
select "Join or leave the list"Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/To =
ttp://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htmland select "Join or leave the l=
ist"Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/To join or leave this LISTSERV=
t http://ateg.org/To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the lis=
t's web interface at:http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.htmland selec=
t "Join or leave the list"Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it n=
ow. To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interf=
ace at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or l=
eave the list"=20

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 07:17:38 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Sub=
ject: McCain, Obama, Clinton...Who has the best grammar?
To: ATEG@LISTSE=
RV.MUOHIO.EDU

[...]

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. =3D"http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=3D51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=3DAhu=
06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ" target=3D_blank>Try it now.
To join or leave=
this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://lists=
erv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"=20

=

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 11:00:56 -0500
From: Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>

------=_NextPart_000_00BC_01C868AF.8C868210

Purely from a public speaking standpoint, all three do fairly well. McCain
strives for an "everyman" approach, Clinton goes for "Powerful Woman" in her
voice, and Obama is leaning toward an almost call-and-response flavor. I
did hear Obama promise to pronounce the word "nuclear" as.well."nuclear,"
which made me chuckle.

-patty

_____

I am curious to see which of the candidates has the best grammar and who is
the most well-spoken. I will be listening attentively to upcoming speeches,
interviews, and press conferences. It would be nice to have a president who
has a strong command of the English language. That person will get my vote
(maybe). Any favorites?

CLM

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

------=_NextPart_000_00BC_01C868AF.8C868210

xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =

charset=3Dus-ascii">

namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =
name=3D"City"/>
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
name=3D"place"/>
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
name=3D"PersonName"/>

style=3D'font-size:
10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Purely from a public speaking =
standpoint,
all three do fairly well.  McCain strives for an =
“everyman”
approach, w:st=3D"on">Clinton
goes for “Powerful Woman” in her voice, and Obama is leaning =
toward
an almost call-and-response flavor.  I did hear Obama promise to =
pronounce the
word “nuclear” as…well…”nuclear,” =

=== message truncated ===

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"