From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of STAHLKE, HERBERT F
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 12:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mini-article on language change (link)

Bill,

Thanks for that link.  There’ve been a number of similar studies in the past few years looking at language relationship and language change through the lens of fairly coarse data, like vocabulary change.  It’s certainly true that a language’s vocabulary may change very rapidly, as the vocabulary of English did at least a couple of times during the Middle English period and a number of times since.  Vocabulary is the part of language most susceptible to cultural influence and to changes in the environment it’s spoken in.  The 20th c. saw more rapid periods of vocabulary change in English.    What’s more questionable is whether such periods of rapid change occur as readily in phonology, morphology, and grammar.

I question the article’s contention that American English appeared when Noah Webster produced his dictionary and speller.  Webster’s influence grew slowly from 1784 through the first third of the 18th c., and he did have some effect on the spelling of American English.  However, there is good evidence that American English was identified by people in Britain as a distinct dialect as early as 1750.

Herb