From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Morrison
Sent: 2008-02-09 18:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: pronunciation of "been"

I think that "been" should be pronounced "bin," but my husband and in-laws pronounce it as "ben". I usually say to my husband: "Ben is a person; you have been to the supermarket." Recently I have heard newscasters and others on tv pronounce "been" as "ben". Is the pronunciation changing? The only other way I've heard this word pronounced is "bean" by British actors.

Carol