Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Spruiell, William C
Sent: 2008-02-13 17:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Grammar and frames (was: Grammar defines the candidates.)

Gregg:

I actually didn't mean to sound as if I was saying Obama doesn't write
well - I was attempting that rather difficult trick of talking about a
political issue as if I were disinterested. I'm slated to teach a
section of composition next fall, as well as a rotating-topics seminar
in which I'm focusing on political language, so I'm trying to practice
phrasing things in ways that don't make students from <insert political
position of choice here> feel excluded. I do want to tug a bit more at
the "framing" thread, though.

There's not a "grammar of hope" - English doesn't have, for example, an
optative mood. However, choice of phrasing can  position something as an
assertion or an assumption, etc., and political discourse takes
advantage of this. Listeners may react differently to "X's policies had
bad results, so we should do Y" than they do to "Because X's policies
had bad results, we should do Y."

In the sense that Lakoff uses it "framing" tends to more an issue of
choice of terms - e.g. whether we call something a "tax" or a "revenue
enhancement." Orwell, of course, also dealt with this type of issue, but
in addition drew attention to the political consequences of particular
constructions, such as the use of the passive to avoid accepting
responsibility. The same information can have a very different effect on
an audience if packaged as a relative clause than it would if packaged
as a main clause. I don't want to call that framing, partly because the
term has become its own fad, partly because of the association of the
term with word choice,  and partly because I don't want to imply that
it's some kind of new linguistic observation (I find myself wanting some
kind of requirement to the effect of, "Thou shalt not quote Lakoff
without quoting Orwell"). Whatever we call it, though ("canting," maybe?
But that makes it sound new), it's relevant. All candidates take
advantage of the resources that English grammar provides and deploy them
for political advantage, so regardless of one's political affiliation,
close analysis of political speeches (and books, and ads and...) is
worthwhile.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University