Actually a lot of languages mark future tense, including Latin and Classical Greek.  The question comes down in part to what we mean by tense marking.  In all three languages, tense marking is a system of morphological contrasts.  They can all use lexical markers to identify other tenses and aspects, like the Latin perfect passive, which uses the verb esse “to be” with the past participle.  Morphologically, English doesn’t have a future tense, and since tense is marked morphologically in English we can say that English doesn’t have a future tense.  This doesn’t mean that English can’t express a future meaning, as Pullum demonstrates, but our various lexical means of expressing futurity, because they are lexical, inevitably express much more than simple future tense.

As to why English lacks a future tense morpheme, that, I fear, takes us back to the dawn of time, or at least to the dawn of the Germanic languages.  When the Germanic dialect split off from Indo-European and came in contact with speakers of what is generally called “Old European,” the language or languages spoken in Europe before the arrival of the Indo-Europeans, it radically restructured its tense system, possibly under the influence of Old European.  The result was that the two Indo-European tense/aspect conjugations with past tense interpretation (aorist and perfect) merged into a single past tense, with the perfect showing up as the past singular form and the aorist as the past plural.  In time, the past plural disappeared, except in very formal registers of Scandinavian languages.  In Indo-European, perfect aspect indicated a completed action, and aorist aspect looked at an event or process as a snapshot in time.   In the process of the change from Indo-European to Germanic, all of the other I-E tenses, including the future, as well as most forms of other moods like optative and subjunctive largely disappeared, remnants of the I-E optative taking over as the Proto-Germanic subjunctive.  So it was a historical accident that we don’t have future accidence (an old word for inflectional morphology) in English.

Herb

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Morrison
Sent: 2008-03-20 10:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Does English have a future tense?

I was taught in college that there is no future tense in English. According to my college text, Analyzing English Grammar, by Klammer, Schulz, & Volpe, "There is no future tense morpheme in English, no affix that can be attached to a verb to indicate that the action will take place in the future. Simple future time must be expressed by other words in the sentence" (180). The following examples are given of how to express the future:

1) Modals

I shall be out of town next week.

Larry definitely will be at the party.

2) Present Tense + Adverbial Modifiers

The class ends at 11:00.

Leave a message when you call.

Susan is leaving for New York on Thursday

It does seem odd that there is no tense marker for the future. I wonder if one reason is that you can't mark a tense for something that is yet to come or hasn't happened yet: for a time, place, and situation that is yet to be determined.

Carol

"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We have discussed once or twice whether English has a future tense.  Here’s a link to an article titled “The Lord which was and is” by Geoffrey Pullum on Language Log that briefly reviews a considerable range of data involve “will” and other constructions and their meanings.  Pullum is coauthor with Rodney Huddleston of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Langauge.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/

Scroll down till you find the title.

Herb

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"