Re: That/Which Rule post from WPA
I agree, Herb.
Contrast your ?? sentence with one using the indefinite article:

??The situation, that I was telling you about last week, has gotten worse over the past two days.

*A situation, that I was telling you about last week, has gotten worse over the past two days.

I grew up with an immigrant mother who used 'that' and 'which' interchangeably--so I did too, until I started to teach English!

Linda

PS ?" I grew up with my immigrant mother, who used 'that' and 'which' interchangeably. I did too, until I started to teach English!"

Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Assistant Academic Director of Writing

Communication, Arts, and Humanities

University of Maryland University College

3501 University Boulevard East

Adelphi, MD  20783-8083

(240) 582-2830

(240) 582-2993 (fax)