________________________________

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of STAHLKE, HERBERT F
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 2:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a punctuation question

Huddleston&Pullum, writing with Geoffrey Nunberg, make no mention of
non-alphabetic symbols in their chapter on punctuation.  They deal with
double inverted commas, to use a neutral term, only with respect to
paired sets that mark of such things as direct quotations and titles.  I
take from this omission that when single and double inverted commas are
used lexically, to mean things like feet, inches, minutes, etc. they are
not punctuation marks and do not behave as punctuation marks.  So I
would conclude that they don't move to the other side of a period or
comma any more than their lexical equivalents would.  I suspect the
confusion is caused partly by the name we choose to call them:
"quotation marks" rather begs the question.

Herb