I see what you mean by the difference between "finite" and "infinite." What
I am curious about is the notion that these constructions are *clauses*
rather than *phrases*. In other words, I am questioning my definition of a
clause. The construction "[to] grow tall" looks like an infinitive *phrase*
to me, not a *clause* at all.

Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD

Professor of English

Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program

Columbia College

Columbia, South Carolina

803-786-3706

  _____