Maureen:

The “exists” interpretation of the verb be is exploited heavily by philosophers, but I’m not sure it’s a common interpretation in everyday English. To me, “The car is here” is more like “the car has this position as one of its current characteristics” than like “the car exists in this position.” That is, copular be is used to mark the introduction of a description or statement of identity, rather than to mark the state of existence.

If we take the “exists” interpretation, “George is in the library” would be, basically, “George exists in the library” – with the connotation that he doesn’t exist when he’s outside that structure. And quite a few uses of copular be aren’t parallel with exist usages:

                Harsh climatic conditions existed in Scandinavia prior to the Viking age.

                ?Harsh climatic conditions were in Scandinavia prior to the Viking age.

Using the copular be version creates the impression that the harsh conditions are, in a sense, an entity that travels about, and happened to park in Scandinavia for awhile, but it’s one of those contexts in which we really do think of the conditions as appearing, existing for awhile, then disappearing, rather than as moving on.   Similarly, exist can be used without any complement at all, unlike copular be:

                I’m not sure the proper conditions existed.

                *I’m not sure the proper conditions were.

“The election was on Tuesday” would, in a sense, appear to fit the idea that the election did not exist before Tuesday and ceased existing on Wednesday.  But we talk about elections more as if they “show up” on the right day than as if they come into existence on that day. After all, the election can’t be “getting closer” unless it already exists in some mental space, right? Language lets people mean things, and a lot of those things are metaphorical.

Philosophers are constantly put in the position of needing a word for a very specific concept and discovering that the language – whatever language they’re using – doesn’t exactly have one. They then go ahead and redefine an existing one, since they know their readers will not have much tolerance for completely new words. In everyday English, “A or B” usually means “you can have A, or you can have B, but not both,” although in some cases it can also mean “you can have A, or B, or both.” English philosophers decided that “or” in philosophy texts was going to mean the latter only, and that choice has confused many generations of Philosophy 101 students. “BE = EXIST” is, I think, in roughly the same category.

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University

From: Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Martha, Dick,
  I think it's more the notion of being transitory (rather than events) that limit the adverbial time complements for the verb "to be." Even Emily can be "after lunch" in the right context. "We interview John this morning. Emily is after lunch." Emily, of course, stands in for "Emily's interview."
   Or consider someone asking about the birth order of children. "John was first. Paul was second. Craig was after Paul. Barbara was after Craig..." And so on. Or how about "God is forever"? "Death is imminent"?
   The constraints seem more semantic than syntactic.

Craig

Martha Kolln wrote:

I certainly agree, Dick, that these adverbials have limitations.  Time adverbials are limited, I suspect, to events.

Martha

Martha,

We probably should make a distinction between time/place adverbials that are complementary (describing the subject) and those that are non-complementary (purely adverbial, describing the predicate). For example, in your sentence "The car is here now,"  "here" is complementary but "now" is not. We can say "The car is here," but we can't say "The car is now."

Likewise the sentence "Emma was at the beach after final exams" allow us to say "Emma was at the beach," but it doesn't allow us to say "Emma was after final exams." "At the beach" is an adverbial that complements the subject (answers "Where was Emma?). "After final exams" is a non-complementary adverbial (answers "When was Emma at the beach?" rather than "When was Emma?").

Dick

Richard Veit
Department of English
University of North Carolina Wilmington