From: Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "Über"-use
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 7:17 PM

A minor correction to Liz's post: the 'u' of 'uber' would be

pronounced 'oo' like 'zoo' without the umlaut. We see this in
words
like 'Fuss' (foot) and names like 'Huber' (in German). With the

umlaut, it is in fact the same sound as the French 'u', which is an
English 'ee' sound pronounced with the lips rounded. We don't have

this sound in English, but the way most Americans pronounce 'zoo' and
similar words is actually pretty close to the German 'u' with umlaut.
(Oh, the umlaut is the two little dots above a vowel.)

If a 'u' precedes a double consonant in German, it is pronounced like
the 'oo' of 'book', as in 'Mutter' (mother). To my
recollection,
German does not have a vowel like that of 'utter'.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at: