From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Keith Pen Ultimate Rare Books
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a subject-verb-agreement question

Dick et al

Ask yourself why "his speech as well as his manners is objectionable" doesn't sound right.  In that sentence I suspect that "as well as his manners" serves as a delayed, emphatic additional subject--something akin to: also especially his manners!--and is therefore and thereby plural.  Remember, if the subject is plural, the verb should be as well.  Many subjects succeeded by "as well as" are intended indeed to be singular.  The subject/example you provided, in most contexts, emphatically is NOT.  Grammar, like language and concepts, is contextual and objective.

Michael
-------------- Original message from "Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>: --------------
Thanks, Carol. That is most helpful. Is it is. I knew that intellectually but wish it sounded right too. For example, change “manner” to “manners” in the Strunk and White example and it doesn’t seem as clear cut: "His speech as well as his manners is objectionable."

Dick Veit

From: Veit, Richard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: a subject-verb-agreement question
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 3:32 PM
A little help, please, with subject/verb agreement in a sentence. These I have no trouble with:

Good policy will come when society at large is educated about HPV.
Good policy will come when at-risk individuals are educated about HPV.
Good policy will come when society at large and at-risk individuals are educated about HPV.

And pretty sure about this:

Good policy will come when society at large (not just at-risk individuals) is educated about HPV.

But what about this one?

Good policy will come when society at large, as well as at-risk individuals, is/are educated about HPV.

Do the commas make the second phrase an aside so that the verb should agree with “society” only (i.e., “is”)? Or do we treat “as well as” as equivalent to “and,” making “are” the right choice? I seek your informed guidance on the matter. Any specific reference to authority is especially welcome.

Dick
Richard Veit
Department of English
University of North Carolina Wilmington

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"