No apology required Craig.  And thanks for  welcoming me.  BTW, I concur with your observation that "Why we would have to treat a compound so created as singular in subject
slot is beyond me."  The "movability" rule mentioned earlier by Peter makes sense to me though I suspect that too would find some troubling cases.

Best, Michael
-------------- Original message from Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>: --------------