Up here in northern Minnesota the plural second person is youse.  Are youse guys going to come with?

On Jun 22, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Patricia Lafayllve wrote:

John-

Yes, I think in that case I’d opt for “YOU” as the pronoun.  Y’all is inclusive that way, right?

-patty from the north

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Crow
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pronouns

If I could use my native Okie language, it would be easier:

Both you and your students will discover that y'all know more about grammar than you think you do.

In other words, what I'm trying to express is that both you--the teacher--and his/her students will do the discovering.  Sounds like, from the responses, I should opt for "you" as the subject of the noun clause.

Y'all are a marvelous resource--thanks!!
John
On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

My question is about the context, because depending on the rest of the sentence, both 1 and 2 could be fine.

"Both you and your students will discover," to me, implies something that the teacher and students figure out together.  However – in the first sentence, using YOU means (again, to me) that the two subjects discover something no one knew before.  In the second, using THEY implies that there's something the teacher knew that the students didn't.

As an example:

  1. Both you and your students will discover that YOU know about text messaging syntax.
  2. Both you and your students will discover that THEY know more about grammar than they realized.

See what I mean, there?  Or am I over-thinking this?

-patty

1.  Both you and your students will discover that YOU know . . .
2.  Both you and your students will discover that THEY know . . .

Or should I just re-work the thing?

Thanks,
John
To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"