Please correct my incorrect usage of "their" to "there" in the previous email. I don't know what I was thinking...20 lashes with the grammar whip!

Carol

--- On Mon, 9/15/08, Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Semiotics
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, September 15, 2008, 10:19 AM

Diane,
   For Augustine and for his time, the scriptures were sacred texts. We
also no longer know how to value one text over another. It should be
pointed out, too, that this critical theory tradition seems to have
pulled us further away from syntax. For all the interest in theories
about language, there seems to be little interest in the forms it takes.

Craig

diane skinner wrote:
>  The field of semiotics is fascinating. These studies have become such an
> intricate part of so many disciplines since St Augustine in On
> Christian Doctrine (ca. 395 ) linked the theory of signs to a theory
> of language for the practice of unraveling and interpreting the
> figurative language in the Scriptures. Augustine' s principles, the
> basic elements of signification, were transmitted
> to the modern linguist Ferdinand De Saussure, who coined the term
"semiology."
> Roland Barthes explored the semiology of fashion, advertising,  and
> travel. Claude Levi-Strauss studied myths and kinship systems within
> different cultures as a system of signs to be interpreted. Jacques
> Lacan used Saussure to reformulate Freud in linguistic terms. And
> figurative signs "commuted" (to use Jacques Derrida's term)
things
> into signs in a process that may be, for modern theorists,
> interminable--this process of commutation, however, undermines the
> stable referentiality that Augustine sought.
> Ah, full circle--can the world and words really be commensurate?
>
> Diane

interface at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at: