A book that you might all enjoy reading that raises this question is
Proust and the Squid, The Story and Science of the Reading Brain by
Maryanne Wolf. Harper and Collins, 2007.

Edith Wollin

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Morrison
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Paradigm Shift?

Hello Grammarians,

I was a bit astounded today when one of my freshman writers announced in
class that there has been a "paradigm shift" from reading books to
viewing films and other visual texts as a means of acquiring knowledge.
This was immediately after I took an informal poll to ask how many class
members read books. (Only 2, including myself, raised their hands). I
was impressed with the student's insight, but also wondered if this
related to his poor writing skills and the writing skills which seem to
be lacking in other students who don't "read." I'm not really trying to
discuss the relationship of reading and writing so much on the grammar
list, but rather the usage of "paradigm shift." I've always struggled
with terms like this and also with terms such as "agency" which are buzz
words in academia, but used in so many different contexts that their
meaning becomes fuzzy to me after a while. Any thoughts? (About "agency"
or "paradigm shift"?)

Thank you!

Carol

interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select