I await Brad's response with trepidation.  Has this become the ATPPG (Assembly for the Teaching of Past Perfect Grammar)?

Geoff Layton

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:24:46 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Call me Crazy
To: [log in to unmask]

Crazy as it may seem, I feel as if I am going crazy with the unrelenting pounding of the past perfect on the grammar list. Crazed with a passion of language dating far back into the history of the Marian family, I find it difficult to become bored with any facet of language discussion, as long as it is headed somewhere. It is crazy to think that repetition and redundancy, the very essence of skills and drills, do not actually teach anything about language, but merely offer a brief respite of finality to something that has no final answer. As we crazily search for that instance where meaning is singular, duplicity and choice reign supreme. Crazy as this may sound, can't we just think of the past perfect as a "choice" that writers may make, one of infinite choices, that contribute to meaning in all of its myriad forms. It is an option, not an ultimatum; how can we say this is "wrong?"

Best Wishes,

Gram

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list" Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/

See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the go. See Now To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"