From: Brad Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: the most articulate American
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008, 6:45 PM

Whadaya talking about? There are Best and Worst lists published every day. Netflix sends you a DVD movie and asks you to grade it one to five: hated it, didn't like it, liked it, liked it a lot, loved it. Then their computer tells you what it thinks you'll grade a movie you haven't seen yet.

Every speech I ever gave I had a critic sitting in the back - a speech professor if I could find one.

You don't like my choice, tell us what yours is.

Don't you pay attention to what people write and how they write it? If you do, you must think some are better than others. Henry's going to be tough to beat but go ahead and try it. Take a shot.

Anyone else want to take a shot and let Paul hunker down? It's not Hemingway and it's not George Bush and it's not Mary Higgins Clark. Who is it? Who's really got a handle on our language?

C'mon, gang. Who's really good at it?

--- On Tue, 11/25/08, Paul E. Doniger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

If you agreed with everything I said, then you wouldn't ask such a question. I see no value in debating who is or who isn't a better user of the English language than Henry Kissinger. I'd rather just dwell joyfully in good language when I come across it and not make comparisons.