From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cynthia Baird
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 10:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Citing Sources

I have always tried to teach the concept of citation to students, but have always used MLA because it's easiest and the most likely style that beginning college students will encounter.  I am a big fan of Writer's Inc. for College.  Since I teach 9-12, I begin with a simple bibliography with 2 or 3 sources (or more simply using quotes of text and page/line numbers in written responses) and eventually culminate in a full research paper with seniors with a Works Cited page and parenthetical citations.  I think the concept of citing one's sources or text to support one's response is more important than the style one chooses.  I also believe that the whole idea of citing one's sources is rather abstract and may be a bit above middle school students.

Good luck!