Herb,

Thanks for your interesting (as always) analysis. As a young linguist
"raised" on the voiced/voiceless distinction, I've been struggling lately
with the fortis/lenis distinction. Can you suggest an introductory source
that I can use to brush up on this? Also, do you even consider voicing when
describing a sound in isolation or do you just consider it a feature of
spoken language that occurs due to influence from neighboring sounds? For
example, if you were describing a phoneme in the abstract, would you
classify it by place of articulation, manner of articulation, and
fortis/lenis (is this strength? or sonority?).

Thanks for any info you can provide!

John Alexander