I have always tried to teach the concept of citation to students, but have always used MLA because it's easiest and the most likely style that beginning college students will encounter.  I am a big fan of Writer's Inc. for College.  Since I teach 9-12, I begin with a simple bibliography with 2 or 3 sources (or more simply using quotes of text and page/line numbers in written responses) and eventually culminate in a full research paper with seniors with a Works Cited page and parenthetical citations.  I think the concept of citing one's sources or text to support one's response is more important than the style one chooses.  I also believe that the whole idea of citing one's sources is rather abstract and may be a bit above middle school students.

Good luck!

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Linda Comerford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From: Linda Comerford <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Citing Sources
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 1:48 PM

Hello,

Would any of you who teach at either the middle school or high school level have a recommendation for a style guide to cite sources in a research paper?  My niece teaches middle school language arts and asked my help, but I havenąt worked with anything academic in ages.  I promised her Iąd ask you for your suggestions.

If this is something better discussed off-list, please send your favorite ways for your students to cite sources to me directly.

Thank you.

Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/ To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or leave the list"