Yes, I believe I do agree with Dr. Wright's critique. I just wish it
was aimed at something like Emile rather than progressives. In regard
to your final question, I suppose the presentation I gave for ATEG at
the most recent NCTE conference might provide an answer. I described
my use of the descriptive vocabulary provided by grammar to define
voice and rhetorical style.  Most of my students are law-fearing
writers: they write grammatically sound prose which no one I know
would wish to read. So, for example, I might distribute a passage
written by Orwell from which I have removed all the punctuation. They
must then punctuate it and explain their choices. Inevitably, they
produce a range of solutions, most of which would pass editorial
scrutiny. We then compare their solutions to Orwell's own. The
exercise usually produces an interesting discussion about the
artistic deployment of punctuation, one which they can only
understand and articulate by using grammatical terms.  At this point
they now understand my definition for an A grade on writing
mechanics: "no errors of grammar, spelling, capitalization;
transgressions artistically defensible." In order to bend or break
the rules of standard grammar as they write their own papers, in
other words, they need to identify the rules they are bending or
breaking and identify an explicitly rhetorical intention for doing
so. Our classroom exercises inform their practice and their defense
of their practice. I suppose the encouragement to bend rules would
conform to a definition of a progressive approach; it certainly feels
different and progressive to them.  And, as I think you'd agree, it
is not a romantic approach.

Michael Dee