Interesting examples, Janet! More prepositional phrases trying to function
as sentence subjects!

I only have informal information about this sort of construction. I've spent
time with students discussing their writing, and I've used two methods. If I
had the luxury of working with a student one-on-one, I asked the student to
think aloud during sentence construction. It takes a while to get the
student comfortable with this, but eventually the student begins voicing
ideas before writing and then figuring out ways to put the idea on paper.
The other method, used with larger classes, is to put student sentences on
the overhead (no author identification of course) and ask the class to
discuss it--what do they think the author wanted to express and why do some
things sound "funny."

Overall, I learned some interesting things from this kind of discussion. In
think-aloud writing, I was amazed at how many times the student would SAY a
perfectly good sentence and then WRITE an amazingly awkward sentence (akin
to your examples). Even in group discussions, many students expressed a
sense of alienation from the written genre; they thought of written prose as
so far removed from spoken language that it seemed "foreign" to them. One
time I gave them the definition of "stilted," and there was a resounding,
"Yes! That's what writing is supposed to be!"

Of course, students who have a strong background in reading, being more
exposed to many genres of written language, seem to be much more comfortable
with crafting prose. Because they have experience with written language,
they see writing for what it is--a different register of the language they
speak fluently--rather than as a stilted foreign language.

My approaches to teaching writing always include an emphasis on reading and
language manipulation (I do like Don Kilgallon's work on sentence
composing). However, when tackling sentence constructions like the ones you
cite, I like to start with workshops where we all write in the plainest
language possible. Once we've expressed our ideas simply, then we look at
how to enhance our writing with modifiers, transformations/shifts, discourse
connections/information structuring, etc. When we work from the ground up
like this, I encounter less mistakes like the one you gave.

So, while I'm sure there are tons of theories and texts about these kinds of
writer constructions, my experience points towards a lack of literacy in
that genre of language (and I mean literacy in the Paul Gee sense just as I
lack literacy in the language of screenwriting or technical manuals). A good
dose of truth about language and society, registers of language, and the
basic goals of writing goes a long way to kick start the learning process.

John Alexander
Austin, Texas

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Castilleja, Janet <[log in to unmask]