Bruce,

It certainly ends up producing something like the same kind of classification system that some construction grammars might produce – but not necessarily for the same reason. A construction grammar (if I understand them correctly) would essentially say, “These two constructions are different, and the their difference inheres in the constructions themselves”; it’s as if the construction, in some ways, is like a very complex version of a lexical item. I happen to like that idea, but I know a lot of other linguists wouldn’t.  I’m trying to aim for something more like, “These constructions are different, and for our current purposes, the fact that they’re different is more important than getting in an argument about where the difference comes from .” To use some dated, but still useful terms, construction grammar operates as a kind of “god’s truth” theory; I’m just sticking to “hocus-pocus.”

The problem, of course, is that the means by which we validate the claim that two constructions are different may themselves lock us into a theoretical framework that’s under contention. As an extreme example, if I said that two otherwise-identical constructions were different in that one of them has a gap and the other has a zero-element, I’d be persuasive only to people who agreed with me about the proposed gap and zero-element. The strategy I’m toying with (“If I say that ‘X V-ed Y to Z’ am I saying that it’s Y who will be doing the Z-ing?”) uses questions to check for consensus among speakers, and then uses that consensus to validate the distinctions (unlike what happens with the typical use of grammaticality judgments, I wouldn’t argue that the consensus necessarily represents “what is actually true”; instead, it’s just to achieve a workable compromise description. It’s the hocus-pocus position again).

As another example, consider this pair that tends to come up with some regularity on the list (well, not the Athelwulf part, but still….):

                Athelwulf is easy to please.

                Athelwulf is eager to please.

Both of these can be described as having the structure [S BE ADJ INF] – but in the first one, the expectation is that other people are the ones who please Athelwulf, while in the second, it’s Athelwulf who’s pleasing others. There are different ways of accounting for this difference, and each of them locks the analyst into a particular theoretical position. Regardless of that variation, though, I think pretty much all native English-speakers would agree that the expectations, as described above, are different. We can thus productively (I think) talk about an “easy-to pattern” and an “eager-to pattern” without necessarily adopting any particular statement about why they’re different – just that they are different (again, I think a construction grammar would say they’re different because they’re different constructions, rather than that they’re different but we don’t really care why right now).

And, of course, this is in practice very little different from what traditional grammarians have done; the only change is that the methodology is foregrounded, since it’s the methodology that’s designed to foster a “politically viable” compromise.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English

Central Michigan University