From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar on behalf of STAHLKE, HERBERT F
Sent: Mon 12/1/2008 11:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Correct?

Dick,

I agree that they are different patterns, different structures, that derive from very different underlying structures.  However, when one confines oneself to a surface taxonomy of the sort Quirk et al. and other, usually British-style grammarians use, then one may be forced to classify these together.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University