From: Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:58:43 PM
Subject: Re: Engaging in the grammar trenches (was: Conservatives!)

From the situation you describe I think has arisen the "grammar in context" crowd, which as Martha has pointed out is dedicated to teaching the same old grammar rules, but with a new and more "politically correct" name - i.e., one that seems to respond to the NCTE injunction against grammar instruction.  The problem as I see it is not so much that students don't know their adverbials from their adjectivals, but that they don't know how to use the basic structure/grammar of the language to create the meaning that they for the most part are capable of.  I think this goes back to the previous discussion where Bob brought up the structural deficiencies of basic writers and how we as writing teachers have such great difficulties dealing with these problems.

Geoff Layton

________________________________
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:28:03 -0800
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

This reminds me of the rather curious observations I have had over the past ten years or so: Most of my high school English teaching peers have commented on the lack of grammar teaching that their students have experienced (or seem to have lacked the experience of). Yet few of them have the time or the interest to get involved in the conversation (indeed, may don't seem to know that the conversation even exists). I know that I have too many other pulls on my time and interests to devote as much to these issues as I would like -- and I've been more involved than most of my peers (my long silences are due not to a lack of interest, but to a lack of time). And with the work load for teachers increasing as it seems to be doing, it doesn't look like this will change at any time soon.
Also, I think most uf us at the secondary level seem to believe (and perhaps rightly) that the issues of grammar (which they see as one of error correction mostly) should have been dealt with in elementary and middle school. I believe that unless elementary and middle school teachers are recruited more dynamically into this conversation, change can't happen.

What are your thoughts & experiences?

Paul D.

 "If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).