In an ironic sort of way.

I just read Paul's post "before coffee."  I read "were-subjunctive" in the
same way one would read "were-wolf," and had to re-read the entire thing
once I figured out which were was meant to be where.

Sad, really.  I had an entire humorous off-thread about whether or not
students could use silver to defeat subjunctives, and how teachers could
show them how to recognize subjunctives even before the full moon.  Yes, I
really did.

Seriously, now - I understand calling a subjunctive using "if" a
"hypothetical," because it is precisely that, but my concern would be that
students would misapply their "weres" if we called it a "were-subjunctive"
in the classroom.  Is there a way we can make this case more clearly?

-patty

  _____