Craig writes, "If our primary concern is with error, then a great deal
never surfaces, for teacher or student alike."

I worry that to some on the list this may sound like we should not be
concerned with surface error.  Based on past discussions with Craig,
I'm fairly certain he doesn't mean this, but only means that to limit
our concern to surface error is to leave out much that is rich and
interesting about how the language works.  I would argue that helping
students gain control over "error" is an important task, that we
should not neglect, but that it certainly isn't the whole task.

Peter Adams