I figured that was the case, Paul.

I should probably also mention that I teach the subjunctive for
identification and knowledge sake more than anything else. I want them to
know that the construction is out there, and if they can use it in their own
writing that's great! However, I'd be a hypocrite if I tried to teach it as
a highly functional part of spoken language because I don't use it. It has
never been a part of my spoken language, only my formal written language
(and sometimes it feels horribly stuffy even there).

It's a fun way to talk about language registers beyond just the lexicon
though. And, of course, it can be used quite masterfully in prose so for
advanced students it's worth further exploration I think.

John