Janet,

Since English does allow viewpoint shifts in tense usage, I suppose you can – this once at least – escape from whatever fine would otherwise be levied on your blatant lack of parallelism with “Here you are” I’m sure when English was a much better language, everyone  said “Here you have been” in such contexts (except for some Hibernians, who would say “Here you are having been” instead, thus precipitating yet another occupation by British forces).

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Castilleja, Janet
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 2:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Past perfect

Hello

I sent this message to a colleague today:

I had forgotten that you had asked me to send you the new Eng 99B IWA rubric.  Here you are!

I’m only posting it to see if it makes anyone’s head explode.   The use seems defensible to me, since both actions seem (to me anyway) to have taken place overtime in the past and also to have been completed in the past.  Every time I use the past perfect now (as in the previous sentence), it jumps out at me.

Janet