From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Craig Hancock [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 8:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Recognition of passives

Ed,
   Absolutely. It's interesting that I had a student ask in class Wednesday why "into" isn't a verb (because it expresses motion.) They also have trouble with words like "claim" when they move into noun slots. They were told that a verb is "an action word", which sufficed precisely because they were never asked to apply it.
   I don't think we should limit our teaching to "identifying" processes. As I said not too long ago, I think we run into trouble by limiting our questions to "How do you classify that" or "Is this correct?" But if we focus on how wonderful verbs are and how central to the way our language works, identifying will come along for the ride.

Craig

Edward Vavra wrote:

Craig,

Aren’t you, below, making an argument that students should have been taught (AND LEARNED) some things (like the ability to identify verbs) before they got to your course?

Ed V.

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar