Pence and Emery call them "verb + adverb" and "verb + preposition" combinations, making a clear distinction between adverbs and prepositions used thus:
"Sometimes an adverb such as up, down, in, out, is so closely welded to a preceding verb that a following substantive is really the object of the verb plus the adverb rather than of the verb alone." Says can easily be switched to passive voice. Uses examples "He put down the rebellion in short order," "I  have closed out my business," and "They have put off the play." Position of down can be shifted; position of out may be shifted, etc.

They then say essentially the same thing about "verb + preposition combinations." preposition "is almost a suffix of the verb." "...some intransitive verbs become transitive when such a preposition is closely welded to them...." Gives these examples;
They laughed at me
I cannot put up with your conduct any longer

Gerald

At 02:56 PM 3/24/2009, Bruce Despain wrote:
My personal preference is adverbial particle and prepositional particle. These terms are probably due to our grounding in traditional grammar and its parts of speech. The term "determiner" has been split out of the traditional "limiting adjective." Particle seems to do the same sort of thing, but applies to several classes.

Bruce