--- On Tue, 3/24/09, Castilleja, Janet <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 I tell my students that ‘got’ is the illegitimate child of the helping verb family.

You go on to explain that they should not use it when writing Standard English, don't you?

You tell 'em, "My dog was killed by the car", when they write about it, don't you? Sure you do. There IS something that can be done about it. 'Tain't hopelus uh'tall, even in Chicago.

From: Castilleja, Janet <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: query on the use of the word got
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 5:42 PM

I am unclear on why you think this is ungrammatical.  It seems acceptable to me. What is bothering you about it?  I know a lot of people complain when ‘got’ is used as an auxiliary:  ‘My dog got killed by the car.’  This usage seems to be so much a part of the language that I doubt anything can be done about it.  I tell my students that ‘got’ is the illegitimate child of the helping verb family.

Janet