Like others who have chimed in on this construction, I find it somewhat
informal and more likely to crop up in colloquial speech. I think it's a
perfectly fine sentence with a perfectly well-constructed verb string. "Get"
is a Germanic verb, and you'd probably be more comfortable with a
Latin-related verb since those tend to be more formal and eloquent (thank
you Norman conquest), but, again, that is really a matter of style and not
usage per se.

I would note that "get" seems to be a bit more "neutral" semantically (and
in news writing objectivity is key or so I'm told) than some alternative
like "obtained," "persuaded," "convinced," etc. Perhaps the news writer was
trying to avoid coloring the sentence at all with a different verb (although
a restructuring may have served better).

John Alexander