Bill,

Thanks! As I read through the whole text, I notice exactly the lack of form and function explanation that you point out. I've always considered that crucial for any grammar course I teach since it changed the way I look at grammar. Lester says this on page 3 of his text:

"A word of caution: part of speech resides in the way that a word is used; it is not inherent in the word itself. For example, the names of concrete, everyday objects such as table, chair,  and book would seem to be inherently nouns, but in the following sentences they are used as verbs.
   The committee tabled the motion.
   Mr. Smith chaired the meeting.
   A travel agent booked the ticket for me.
Consequently, we must be careful to discuss a word's part of speech in terms of the context in which it is used. Beware of talking about the part of speech of a word used in isolation."

That allows him to allude to the form/function distinction throughout without discussing at length how we can examine morphological form and prototypical word categories as distinct from syntactic and discourse function. Sly on his part and perhaps not a bad approach for his audience, but I'd probably supplement the text with some of Martha Kolln's work just to enhance that perspective.

John Alexander

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Spruiell, William C <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

John,

I’ve used Lester’s book a number of times in a course here for future English teachers. Overall, I’d say there’s one major problem with it, but otherwise it’s extremely good. The problem is that he doesn’t make a clear form/function distinction. I’m not sure why he doesn’t – it could be that he’s trying to stick to the K-12 school grammar tradition, which is understandable, but the lack of that distinction is one of the things that constantly causes problems for anyone trying to teach the material (“You said only nouns could be plural, but in ‘accounts receivable,’ the adjective is”).

The book is so good in other respects that I’ve continued to use it, using handouts to deal with the form/function distinction. But, of course, then the students get annoyed because I’m disagreeing with the textbook, and I get annoyed with them because the last thing future teachers should do is view a textbook (or their instructor’s comments!) as Holy Writ.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell