Wouldn't the semicolons be even more "open to question"?  I don't mean to suggest that they are "wrong," but they were a relatively new mark in Shakespeare's time, I believe.
Does anyone know who is responsible for the punctuation of the sonnets that we possess?

Ed S

On Mar 18, 2009, at 7:24 PM, Paul E. Doniger wrote:

Herb & Scott,

I've always held that the main clause of this one sentence sonnet, as Herb suggests (if I'm reading you rightly), appears in the third quatrian: "(Haply) I think on thee." It's the implied "then" statement that follows the when statement that opens the sonnet ("When in disgrace ......., [then] I think on thee.").  This, it seems to me, is the main point of the entire sonnet and is explained more fully by the final couplet.  By the way, I'm not at all convinced by the punctuation, which in Shakespeare is often open to question anyway, especially the comma after line #9, which I think is still a continuation of the previous thought, not an introduction to the main clause that follows it.  What do you think?

Paul

"If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).

From: "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:03:57 PM
Subject: Re: Sonnet grammar analysis help

Scott,

I think I’d treat “Yet…thee” as a main clause as well, not as adverbial.  Yet acts as a coordinating conjunction and so also gets used sentence-initially to set up a contrast with a preceding thought.  There’s a single complex adverbial clause comprising the first two quatrains.  The third quatrain begins with the main clause of that sentence and is itself a coordinate clause with “and.” The third quatrain is set off by a semi-colon because of the preceding serial commas..  The closing couplet is also set off with a semi-colon, perhaps because of the initial “for” and the close logical link between it and three quatrains.  A sonnet in one sentence.  Not many poets have pulled this off so well.

Of course, the semicolons are the interpretation of an editor, unidentified.  In the 1609 facsimile (http://ia311343.us.archive.org/3/items/shakespearessonn00shakrich/shakespearessonn00shakrich.pdf), all lines but the last end in commas, although the punctuation at the end of the first quatrain is ambiguous.  I can’t make out on the screen whether it was meant to be a comma or a period, but I suspect the former.

Herb