Hooray for Pullum. I've had to battle copyeditors who want to change "which"
to "that" in all restrictive clauses. I often have to tell students to
ignore what well-meaning teachers have told them about not beginning
sentences with "however" or other conjunctions. I haven't yet convinced my
own daughter that passives can be just fine. As for split infinitives, my
comments on them made me a Jeopardy
answer<http://people.uncw.edu/veit/jeopardy/>some years ago. Thanks
for this, Bill.

Dick Veit