Bruce,

I use the same strict definition of “tense” as you do – but at the same time, I can’t help but think of that sense of mild annoyance I get when someone tries to tell me I’m not allowed to use the word “bug” for spiders (long before biologists adopted a specialized meaning of the term, “bug” referred to crawly things). My English ed. students, I think, have the same reaction when I start talking about tense – it really boils down to a dispute over who “owns” the definition of a word, and of course, no one really does unless trademark law in involved. I can’t really blame my students if they quietly decide that the general public has not officially granted linguists the right to redefine terms of usage that existed long before there were linguists. We perhaps should have made up a completely new term, but that trick never goes over well except in science fiction (“I will refer to the set of affixes marking these categories directly on verbs as florsh”). There are no good solutions.

I would have no problem whatsoever criticizing a linguist for using the folk meaning of tense if s/he’s writing for an audience of linguists (not that that ever happens – try it on a comprehensive exam and you’re looking at an extra semester’s work at minimum and at maximum an enforced change of career plans), but grammarians writing for the general public may not feel that they wield power of redefinition, and their editors may enforce the folk definition anyway.  We can argue that English doesn’t treat present and past the same as it does various flavors of “future-ish,” and that progressive and perfect are separate issues from present vs. past, etc., and back all that up with tons of evidence. Those distinctions are relevant regardless of what we call them (and it’s not like major English grammarians like Curme and Jespersen failed to notice this stuff). We can’t, however, demand that everyone accept our labels for all that, although we can certainly try to sweet-talk people into it.

---- Bill Spruiell

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bruce Despain
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 1:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: cutting the pear in half

Craig,

I agree with your comments, except in the one point, which we have discussed – terminology.  I take “tense” as strictly a label for verb forms and “time” a label for meaning.  Verbs definitely exhibit an active fault line through the connection between tense and time, where the modal auxiliaries seem to have broken quite free.  The other auxiliaries seem to maintain the boundary between form and meaning (“have” vs. “had” and “is” vs. “was”), hence the discussion relating to the “past perfect tense.”   I like the idea of “finite grounding” to refer to something that often happens in the verb phrase, but I don’t think we can always point there for it.  As you imply the past tense form of the modals seems to supply the subjunctive alias conditional, which meaning is still maintained by a different form of “be” (“is” vs. “were”)