From: Marien, Alex Joseph
Sent: Mon 4/6/2009 8:36 AM
To: Gerber, Natalie
Subject: Grammar in a TV commercial.

Hello, Dr. Gerber,

I was watching television just a few minutes ago, and I noticed this commercial (which I was surprisingly able to find on YouTube).  http://www.youtube.com/watchv=WZSDOx89m2I

The beginning line states, "Isn't it TIMES LIKE THESE that REMINDS us of what's important?"

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the verb does not agree with the subject in terms of number.  "Times like these" seems to be plural where the verb, "reminds," is trying to agree in singular form.  I guess "times like these" could be looked at as singular, but it still sounded funny to me when I was listening to the commercial.

I don't know, I just thought it was interesting.

Thanks,
-Alex