It’s very much a “work-around,” but I’ve been known to use “he” in one sentence, and “she” in the next – thus removing the sexist implications of gendered pronoun trouble altogether.  This way we’re not using “their” as a singular, and we’re still respecting the “inherent sexism of the English language” argument.  Not a perfect solution, but the one I can best live with, right now…

-patty

From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul E. Doniger
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 5:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Any member can give their opinion

I find it acceptable in conversation (sometimes), but not in formal writing. My students (high school) have a very hard time with my "conservative" attitude about it. I don't find it easy to read "their," et al, as singular pronouns.

Paul D.

"If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction" (_Twelfth Night_ 3.4.127-128).