Craig,

I have the same reaction to your carefully chosen excerpts as I did to
Don's:  Of course you can find beautifully crafted passages that do not
employ sentence openers.  They are not a required element.  If I had a room
full of students who could write like Obama's speech writers or Bruce
Canton, my job would be finished.  I don't.

Rather than look at isolated passages, why not look at a broad spectrum of
writing like Christensen and Ed Schuster did.  Their findings are clear:
25%-33% of the sentences do not begin with the subject noun phrase.  What's
wrong with helping our students emulate professional authors--somewhat
mechanically at first, perhaps, but expanding the range of options for them
to consider as they work on their writing skills?

I don't want to belabor this issue (perhaps belatedly!), so I guess we
should, once again, just agree to disagree.

John