Herb, I know you've studied clitics extensively; is there any evidence of
the English plural marker (-s) moving away from affix status and toward
clitic status?

I ask this because in actual usage, I hear "mother-in-laws" much more often
than I hear "mothers-in-law" for the plural.

As a teacher I offer the wisdom of bowing to style guides, but as a linguist
I get to have more fun and find out what *actually* happens in language. In
this case, the linguist in me is more intrigued than the teacher.

John Alexander