John, Craig, et al.

Aha - I think I misconstrued your point, and apologies for that. I'd
agree that even my most problematic students are perfectly well able to
vary sentence beginnings in speech, create vastly complex structures,
etc. Somehow, they're not bringing that to bear in the same way when
they write, or rather, they're so mistrustful of *all* their instincts
that they ignore the good ones along with the bad (and the memory strain
doesn't help). Some of the emails I got this semester from students
explaining why they needed paper extensions were very well designed
(spelling and shorthand aside), I think because the authors weren't
thinking about the email as a writing task.

A side note: With the second, "aesthetic" judgment system, perceived
intentionality is a major factor - most of us are happy with a sentence
fragment if we think it's intentional and has a good effect, but we
don't like fragments if we have valid reason to suspect the writer isn't
in control of them.  Repetition may work the same way. If an obviously
articulate speaker uses a giant parallel construction with identical
openings to each unit, we perceive it as adept usage of classical
rhetoric; if a student who otherwise doesn't seem particularly
articulate adopts a similar strategy, we attribute it to lack of skill.
Bizarrely impenetrable writing from a student is a bad thing, but it may
come across as impressive if it's in PMLA.

Susan's methodology strikes me as a good example of a strategy to
encourage students to gain conscious control of structures. Saying that
good writing doesn't require sentence-initial variation doesn't entail
that such variation can't be used to create good writing, or that
knowing how to use it won't be extremely useful in many situations. Most
students are in a stage where they have to prove they can do something
before they can be let off the hook for not doing it. There is  a danger
they'll get stuck in "auto-vary" mode, or use variation without purpose
(like my students who were told at some point to use sentence connectors
and were given a list - they sometimes pick them randomly). That can be
dealt with, though, especially if later exercises look at
paragraph-level  or even section-level "opening frames."

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell