"All artists quiver under the lash of adverse criticism", Catherine Drinker Bowen.

Scott.

Note that I wrote to you privately and YOU took it public. I have agreed to not pursue the past perfect on the list but I will reply the same way your message came to me, as I was taught is polite.

You wrote and I corrected, "I (had read) read most of the classics (in English) -- fiction and non-fiction -- before high school", and you object.

So you would prefer to say that World War One had been fought before World War Two, and that I had thought twice before I responded to your message?

He (had been) was thoroughly disillusioned by the bigotry and stupidity of the dean at a time on the past.

All past events were preceded by other past events. The past tense of 'to be' is 'was' (singular) and 'were' (plural), NOT 'had been'.

Her taking of classes was a completed action before her past tense claim.

So she had taken Cicero her junior year and Virgil her senior year, rather than "She took Cicero her junior year .."? One has to complete one's junior year before one can be a senior.

If you think that's how the past perfect works, I wonder how you define it. Go ahead and try it. I've invited many ATEGians to do so and not a single one can do it. That's how far behind we (the English-speaking world) are in teaching a useful tense, the past perfect (by whatever name).

One man tried it by saying, "The past perfect is 'had' plus the past participle", which is more than a tad shy of the mark, rather like saying a train is a thing with wheels (as are rickshaws and lawn mowers).

.cheers.brad.22may09.