John, you have actually made my point.

You say you would "work with this writer to subordinate, coordinate,
and complementize/relativize clauses and perhaps to consider more
carefully the semantic weight/information packaging of verb choice."

If I said what you just said to my students, they would look at me
like I was trying to be condescending.  So, of course, I don't say
that.  Instead I just use plain-speak and ask them to change up their
sentence starts.

Is the student "likely [to] produce confusing sentences
(unnecessarily complex structures) out of a belief that that is what
teachers want"?  No.  I am there in the high school classroom.  They
do not create twisted syntax.  Instead they fix the core problem.

I have expertise in this area.  I have adjusted my lofty ideas to
reflect what works with my struggling student writers.  You can keep
trying to justify what you think should work, but it conflicts with
what I have experienced.