I just happened to be reading "A Law of Acceleration" by Henry Adams
and have come across two paragraphs that have some relation to what we
have been discussed on the issue of varying sentence openings and
coherence.

The first paragraph begins with "Thus" and the sentence concludes
"only the mathematician could help."  Here are the first words (NPs)
of the remaining six sentences:

             La Place

             Watt

             Volta and Benjamin Franklin

             Dalton

             Napoleon I

             No one

The other starts with the word "Nothing."  The remaining five
sentences begin:

             Thought

             Power

             Man

             Forces

             So long as the rates of progress held good, . . . .

Comments?

Ed S