From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Natalie Gerber
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 12:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: yet another sentence structure!

Dear all,

Do you mind helping me with these examples? If not, here’s one more:

No doubt at all about that, I thought. (A Clockwork Orange)

Ignoring the reported speech clause, how would you analyze the first portion?

Is it correct to say that “at all” modifies the complete phrase “no doubt about that” and is functioning adverbially, indicating degree (i.e., how little doubt there is)?

Without the context to clarify what that specifies (this is a student-located example), can we say that “about that” functions adjectivally modifying the head noun “doubt”?

I’ve consulted my Longman, but I didn’t see a clear example to use as a model.

Thanks, as ever—

Natalie

Natalie Gerber, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor