From: Scott Woods <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 10:45:13 AM
Subject: Re: Class size ATEG Digest - 28 May 2009 to 29 May 2009 - Special issue (#2009-127)

Edmond,

Most teachers do not assign very much homework, especially writing.  When I taught at a public high school in Arizona, three years ago, my students wrote three essays each year.  Most of the work was done in class.  This was department policy.  Another teacher I know assigned an essay every three weeks.  He was reprimanded for doing so.  His contract was not renewed.  At the public high school closest to my charter school, 9th graders in the International Baccalaureate program write one essay per term, three per year, according to my informants.

Scott Woods
BASIS Scottsdale

--- On Sat, 5/30/09, Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Do American high school English teachers have to load their car boots at the
end of the afternoon with three or four piles of 30+ homework books?  (It is
normal for two sets of homework to be set for each class in one week, and
one is likely to be teaching seven or eight classes).

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road