FANBOYS, LIES, and FEET

My basic writers find another acronym useful: LIES, for comma rules. The explanation below is found on ATEG's "Quill and Feather" page for "Clear and Accurate Writing."

From http://www.ateg.org/qf/clear.php:

THE RULES OF COMMAS: Remember LIES:
L: LISTS (The comma before the final item in a series is optional, but a bit more formal.)
I: INTRODUCTIONS: Place a comma before elements that precede the subject.
E: EXTRA INFORMATION: Divide extra (non-essential) information of all kinds with a comma on each side of the extra information.

S: SENTENCES: Divide independent clauses (sentences) with a comma and a conjunction

One of my students this semester coined the acronym FEET, for common forms of evidence:

F  Facts
E  Examples
ET Expert Testimony

Lee Davis